(Photos by Don Bates unless otherwise noted)
Subtitle: How to maximize your garden output without spending a boatload of money
See also Don’s Handouts (printable pdf files):
- The EssentiaList: Garden Season Extenders: References & Resources;
- Garden Season Extenders Slideshow; and
- Don’s 2010 Planting Dates for Kalispell MT
The following topics are covered in more detail in the complete Gathering Summary: Garden Season Extenders (pdf)
- Garden possibilities: Multi-cropping and timed plantings, to extend season from Feb 15 through Nov 15;
- Seed Starting – all season long;
- Wall-o-Water (Wall of Water);
- Low tunnels (row covers);
- Cold frames
- Hoophouses (high tunnels)
- Combinations of these
- Audience Q & A
Resources & References
- “Four Season Harvest”, Eliot Coleman (the bible. Highly recommended)
- “Winter Harvest Handbook “, Eliot Coleman (for advanced users)
- “The Polytunnel Handbook”, McKee & Gatter ( written by a couple of Brits, so not “climate appropriate”, but otherwise has a lot of good ideas)
- Google and Youtube: search: row covers, low tunnels, hoophouses, polytunnels. Also see Johnny’s Selected Seeds (www.johnnyseeds.com). Lots of info, but pay close attention to the climate of the poster.
Don’s Sources of Supply
- Hoopers, Hwy 35, Kalispell
- Johnny’s Selected Seeds (www.johnnyseeds.com): row covers, greenhouse film, accessories. Not the cheapest, but small quantities and sizes available.
- Territorial Seed (www.territorialseed.com): Same as above.
- Dripworks (www.dripworksusa.com): Drip Irrigation.
- Peaceful Valley Farm and Garden Supply (www.groworganic.com): Drip Irrigation
- Charley’s Greenhouse Supply (www.charleysgreenhouse.com): Self explanatory.
- McConkey (www.mcconkeyco.com): A commercial greenhouse supplier
- CHS, Kalispell (www.chsmontana.com): Good source for 9 ga. wire for hoops. Ask for 10 lb big coils. Under $20. Any good fencing supplier would also have it.
- Plant Land, Kalispell (www.plant-land.com): Selling homemade hoophouse kits and parts.
- Season Extenders: Cold Frames & HotBeds (From SavvyGardener) (printable pdf)
- The EssentiaList: Cabbage, Coleslaw & Sauerkraut
- The EssentiaList: Fall Planting of Veggies
- The EssentiaList: Garden Hoops from Natural Materials
- The EssentiaList: Harvesting & Growing Garlic
- The EssentiaList: Potatoes: Planting, Growing & Harvesting
- The EssentiaList: Sequential Planting Through the Seasons
- NPR article: Old-Time Methods Yield Spring Greens All Winter, by Nancy Shute
- How to use a Wall-O-Water (www.wall-o-water.com & www.ehow.com/how_2267748_use-a-wallowater.html)
- Univ. Oregon study by Littman, Spence. (pages.uoregon.edu/sspence2/wallowater/methodology.html)
- Freeze / Frost Occurrence Data (National Climatic Data Center)
- MontGuide: Can I Grow That Here
- MontGuide: Successful Garden Guide