by Catherine Haug; basket photos by Joan Goldstein
Joan provided a 2-page handout which is available on our website: The EssentiaList: Dying Fibers with Natural Materials, by Joan Goldstein
The following topics are covered in more detail in the complete Gathering Summary: Using Natural Dyes for Fibers (pdf):
- Colors (Joan’s baskets of colorful yarns)
- Pigment vs. Dye
- Getting the Dye to ‘Stick’: Using Mordants
- Dyes from the Kitchen: coffee, tea and onion skins
- Dying with Lichens and Orchil
- Dyes from the Garden: amaranth, cosmos, cottonwood, Japanese indigo, madder, cochineal
- The Affect of pH, and Dying Plant vs Animal Fibers
- Overview of Dying Process
- Sources & References
Sources & References
- Buchanan, Rita. (1995). A Dyer’s Garden. Loveland: Interweave Press, LLC.
- Cannon, John and Margaret. (2003). Dye Plants and Dyeing. Portland: Timber Press, Inc.
- Greenfield, Amy Butler. (2005). A Perfect Red. New York: HarperCollins Publishers. Note: history, no dye directions.
- Miller, Dorothy. (1999). Indigo From Seed to Dye. Santa Cruz: Indigo Press. ISBN: 0-9604060-1-8.
- Rice, Miriam and Dorothy Beebee. (1980). Mushrooms For Color. Eureka: Mad River Press Inc.
- Van Stralen, Trudy. (1993). Indigo, Madder & Marigold; A Portfolio of Colors from Natural Dyes. Loveland: Interweave Press, LLC.
- Klos, Dagmar. (2010). “Dyeing Basics: An introduction to natural dyes.” Spin-off, Vol 34, No 3, Fall 2010, 42-44.
- Fahey, Elizabeth. (2010). “Dyeing with Black Walnuts.” Spin-off, Vol 34, No 3, Fall 2010, 54-56.
From the Web:
- Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org (multiple pages)
- Dying with Mushrooms and Lichen; blog.mycology.cornell.edu/?p=113
- Orchil, the Poor Person’s Purple, by Chris Laning: www.ravensgard.org/gerekr/Orchil.html
- The Cottonwood Tree: An American Champion, by Kathleen Cain (see books.google.com, for page 24)
- Growing Japanese Indigo in your garden, by Donna Druchunas (includes a source for seeds): www.sheeptoshawl.com/indigo.html
- Onion Skin Dye: vikland.tripod.com/onion.html
- The EssentiaList: Dying Fibers with Natural Materials, by Joan Goldstein essentialstuff.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/EsL_dyingFibers2_JGoldstein.pdf
- Gathering Summary: Using Natural Dyes for Fibers (essentialstuff.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/NaturalDyes-for-FIbers_JG_092210.pdf)