by Catherine Haug
This event had two presenters. The summary for each presenter is included in the complete Gathering Summary (printable pdf file); see Gathering Summary: Brain Tanning, & Uses for the Leather Produced.
See below for links to Sally’s Flip videos.
Brain Tanning, by Fran Wade
Fran provided a cop of her script, which is edited for inclusion in the Gathering Summary pdf, along with discussion from the event, where appropriate.
View still-shots from Flip Videos by Sally J. of Fran’s presentation:
- Tools: Scraper and Fleshing Tool
- Salting or rubbing brain paste into hide
- Breaking-down: working the hide over cable
- Photo of Fran’s stretching frames
- Audience & samples of commercially tanned vs brain tanned leather/suede
Uses for Natural Leather, by Shadowhawke
A summary of Shadowhawke’s presentation is included in the Gathering Summary pdf file.
View still-shots from Flip Videos by Sally J. of Shadowhawke’s presentation and samples: