by Catherine Haug
I recently wrote an 1500-word essay on the topic of food safety and pasteurization. It is fairly technical and addresses the following topics:
- Why is food safety an issue instead of a given?
- Methods of pasteurization for milk and other foods
- Discussion of living foods (raw and cultured)
- Denaturation of proteins by heat (cooking and pasteurization)
- Destruction of probiotics, enzymes, cofactors and vitamins by pasteurization
To learn more, refer to my essay: Food Safety & Pasteurization (pdf file).